Northside Hospital is award-winning, state-of-the-art, and continually growing. Constantly expanding the quality and reach of our care to our patients and communities creates even more opportunity for the best healthcare professionals in Atlanta and beyond. Discover all the possibilities of a career at Northside today.
- Collects pertinent medical information and reviews physician's order to identify reason for examination and potential contraindications.
- Explains procedure and positions patient.
- Selects proper technical factors and runs transducer over designated area of body.
- Observes image and modifies equipment parameters as necessary to obtain optimal image.
- May freeze and print frame. Reviews record to ensure correct anatomy is visualized.
- Performs limited vascular studies (venous, arterial doppler, carotid doppler).
- Assembles records for interpretation by physician.
- Performs minor maintenance and repairs on ultrasound equipment. Refers major problems to appropriate supervisor.
- Assists in orienting and training personnel.
- Enters patient charges into computer system.
- Practices proper safety techniques in accordance with hospital and departmental policies and procedures. Immediately reports any mechanical or electrical equipment malfunctions, unsafe conditions, or employee/patient/visitor injury‑accident to Manager.
- Utilizes skilled judgment and diagnostic criteria to accurately identify and differentiate normal versus abnormal findings.
- Performs arterial evaluations to determine the presence, localization and extent of arterial sclerosis/stenosis with regard to circulation utilizing Doppler ultrasound, and/or color duplex ultrasound imaging.
- Performs venous evaluations to determine the presence of deep venous obstruction (thrombus) and venous valvular incompetence utilizing Doppler ultrasound and color duplex ultrasound imaging.
Requirements for Ultrasound Technologists
Certified or eligible for certification by:
American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (ARDMS),
American Registry of Radiologic Technologists, Sonography (ARRT) (S).
All sonographers must obtain certification within one year of hire date or cross training
Certified in Cardio-pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or obtain within 90 days of employment througth the American Heart Association
Requirements for Vascular Technologists
- ARDMS certification in vascular technology RVT
- ARRT certification in vascular technology RT (VS)
- CCI certification in vascular technology RVS
Sonographers must be in compliance with the ARDMS, ARDMS, ARRT or CCI requirements for continuing education appropriate to their practices